27 November 2015

EVMs in Khorixas malfunctioning


SERVICE PLEASE ... An elderly woman scoops water from a burst water pipe for both drinking and cleaning purpose in the Donkerhoek informal settlement of Khorixas. Photo: Nampa

The timing on some electronic voting machines (EVMs) in the Khorixas Constituency is off.
Electoral Commission of Namibia’s (ECN) Khorixas Presiding Officer, Jacqueline Amamus said the timing on some EVMs is delayed with 10 minutes.
“But I contacted the technicians and they assured me that the machines are fine, just as long as they are not delayed by 30 minutes or more,” she told Nampa in Khorixas on Friday during the Regional Council and Local Authority Elections, underway countrywide.
Other than that, no problems were reported by the ECN officials at most of the polling stations in the Khorixas district, she said.
Meanwhile, about 200 eligible voters queued up as early as 03h00 in front of the Eddie Bowe Primary School gate in Khorixas on Friday to vote.
Peterus Fabian, 32, who has lived in Khorixas for 10 years, says he arrived at the polling station at 03h00.
“I’m here to vote for development in Khorixas. Since I arrived here in Khorixas I never had a formal job,” he stressed.
Christina Khaises, 61, joined the cue at 04h00. She hopes her vote will bring development to Khorixas.
“I’m voting for change in Khorixas. We want shops, we want better council services. Currently the town council services are very poor,” she noted.
Another elderly person, 68-year-old Nicanor Awaseb, said he is stranded without a house of his own.
“I don’t have a house, currently as old as I am, I am renting at a woman’s house. With my vote I want an old age home to be established here in Khorixas,” he said.
A total of 7 977 eligible voters have registered to cast their votes in this year’s elections; most of them in dire need of job opportunities and better services from the Khorixas Town Council.
-Nampa

No comments: