26 November 2015

DRC's Swapo member becomes RDP candidate

REVERSED ROLES ... In this 2013 photo, former RDP president Hidipo Hamutenya (left) is seen with David Nghiimbwasha (right). Hamutenya is now a Swapo member while Nghiimbwasha joined RDP.

He is now the party's number one candidate for the Swakopmund Local Authority in tomorrow's election.

Since 2013, Nghiimbwasha has been very vocal on the formalisation of DRC and the provision of housing and sanitation.

Over the past two years, the concerned group led by Ngiimbwasha, who was a Swapo member at that time, staged several demonstrations, camping outside the municipality to pressure the town authority for the delivery of services in their area.

Also in 2013, the group returned nearly 8 000 voters' cards to the Electoral Commission of Namibia (ECN) in protest to the municipality over what they called a slow process in the formalisation of DRC.

Approached for comment yesterday, Swapo regional coordinator Philipus Heita said “Nghiimbwasha was using Swapo to work for RDP”.

“It is good that he came out because when I was talking, some people did not believe me. They thought he was just a full Swapo member exercising his right to demand services.”

Heita said he suspected that Nghiimbwasha's heart was with an opposition political party and he was using his Swapo membership to instigate people and pressure the municipality that was led by Juuso Kambueshe, a Swapo member.

Newspaper reports that Heita threatened Nghiimbwasha in 2013 and took his Swapo membership card were denied.

“I did not threaten him at all. As for the membership card, I am not sure whether we took it or he still has it. This does not matter anymore since he is already campaigning for RDP. I have now cancelled him from Swapo and I hope our people can open their eyes,” Heita responded.

Nghiimbwasha refused to say when he decided to join RDP but confirmed that he is now a full RDP member.

“I am focusing on working for the community, I sacrificed myself for DRC as I always do. I decided to go where I see the future, where I can lead the people instead of staying behind Swapo and keeping my mouth shut.”

When asked what happened to his Swapo membership card and whether he was threatened by Heita, Nghiimbwasha insisted that he was threatened but refused to disclose more information, saying: “I am busy campaigning now, so I really do not have time to discuss this matter”.

He did not say whether Heita took it from him, whether he volunteered to give it back or it is still with him.

“I paid money from my pocket for that card, so I have the right to do what I want because it is my property. If I have thrown it away or burnt it - it is my own choice”.

Nghiimbwasha denied instigating people and using Swapo to work for RDP, saying he was just exercising his right to demand services for himself and fellow residents.

Other RDP candidates for the Swakopmund Town Council are Demetria Kandume; Poppy Shaanika; Aroddus Hoa-Khaeb; Lisken Dausas, Markus Mpepo; Susanna Haoses; Laurencia Nanxas; Kenneth Gaobab; Simon Titus; Hanilara Guibes; Dorotea Lukas; Gideon Haifo; Emma Liisa Kandola; and Magarett Basson.

Apart from Swapo, the All People's Party (APP), Christian Democratic Voice (CDV), DTA of Namibia, National Unity Democratic Organisation (Nudo), Republican Party of Namibia, SWANU of Namibia, Swakopmund Residents Association and United Democratic Front of Namibia (UDF) are contesting the local authority elections.
- Nampa

No comments: